Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Monday, October 02, 2006

The Job

It is hard to work on a contract basis scheme unlike the fixed monthly salary. But everything has its advantages and disadvantages.

I used to get paid on a daily basis pay, meaning you work you get paid, you dont and you have nothing. Week in and week out i have to do something to earn a living. But for my case, i am still receiving twice a month pay base on my daily work plus extra variable bonuses for every working day on Sunday and public holidays.

With this contract basis payment, i get three times more than what someone who receives fixed monthly salary. Just that, i dont have the privileges such as, annual leave, medical leave, compassionate leave and etc etc leave which other people used to enjoy.

But the problem is, i dont have a life. I work 7 days a week, 30 days a month plus 3 hrs interval to rest, on top of every 6 working hours for 12 hours job everyday and that is what i have to do.

Then came another headache, my 5 years contract is about to end soon and the management is getting another 5 years contract for me to run. The question is, to take or not to take?

I wish i were a doctor, lawyer, teacher, airline pilot, Coffee Fairy, Richard, Sassy, Ladylee or Ghee. Except for poor Princeromp...

11 Shooters:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm,so your two options are:
money or life?

im not a good adviser..all i can say is,"we only live once,so make it to the fullest".

thats tough,w/o any leaves,even compassionate leave,LOL!

your salary is great,and you have that chance that others dont,so you need to think a lot about that,its your life anyhow.Though I wanna see you happier and livelier.

cheer up!relax!and wishing you all the best ;)

P.S.
"sunday" had passed,its Monday?haha!

7:16 AM  
Blogger Lady_A said...

hey there! how are ya doing?

11:19 AM  
Blogger Cavalock said...

hi!

well, if u take the 5-year contract with the higher pay ... does it allow u to maybe retire earlier?

take care!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Coffee Fairy v1 said...

hey pare! be careful what you wish for..you wanna have my hair? heehee.

seriously though, in my previous job i was also on contract position and i was just so lucky to find a permanent job. I never thought that the fringe benefits like medical insurance and more paid leaves would make a big difference. Also, being on permanent position gives you the security of tenure. But then again, as Mr. Lee said, nothing is permanent anymore, even in Singapore, so the strategy is: marketability, we have to know how we can keep ourselves marketable. But of course, it all boils down whether where you feel that you'd be happy. I think the work that allows you to still have quality time with your family is more important than earning more money. Time can never be bought back anyway, right? ;o)

11:53 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Let's be honest, the type of working conditions you describe ... suck.

It might be fine for a single guy to work like that for a year or two, but it certainly is not the way for a family man to have to work.

While my work situation is nowhere near as bad as yours (I am pretty lucky, I typically work 37.5 hours per week and that is it), I still feel there is more that I can do with my life rather than work, commute, be cranky, sleep, work some more, etc

But, let's face it, we become trapped, addicted to our jobs. We see no way out. Just work a little more, save a little more money. The problem is when do we get a chance to rest, to breathe, to enjoy life?

A number of Japanese women I knew wanted to leave Japan for that very reason - work, work, work and no life. Emigrating is a big step and change.

I hope you manage to find some balance in your life - I know I still need to find some in mine.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Saudari Lee said...

think about your choices.ultimately, it's your life. want to be me? kena wash toilet and clean and cook every time you know? but i like lah but definitely not for long term! take care dear!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Shionge said...

Greetings Prince :D

Hmm....to continue or not ya? Do you enjoy the workplace? Have you thought about permanent job so as to enjoy the perks or benefits?

Can I help? I'm in the chemical industry, I can pass words around for you though....

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think really depends on the kind of lifestyle u want... if u want a lavish lifestyle then u need to slog ya way through and enjoy the lil bit of luxury... else if basis is just enough i guess u can spend more time with family... all in all take care of ya health dun overwork... choose wisely n all d best... i like the flexible working hrs u describe but without the benefits... hmmm sometimes mayb a bit tough.... but your 12 hrs work everyday... well lets put it this way, some permanent worker also werk just as long hours as u or even longer...

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Prince!!its been a while!!i missed you!im glad that you`ve showed up today,i was so surprised!hows it goin?

dont forget to say hi if you have time,alright,pare? ;)I am also busy lately,just a little round today and im gonna hit the sack...too exhausted :)

ingat,pare!hugsss!

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home